- She braked suddenly and avoided an accident.
- I avoided him as much as possible.
- Are you trying to avoid me?
- They all avoided mentioning that name.
- I crossed the street to avoid meeting him, but he saw me and came running towards me.
Hi, Mr. Smith. I’m Dr. Hawkins. Why are you here today?
I thought it would be a good idea to get a check-up.
Yes, well you haven’t had one for…five years. You should have one every year.
I know. I figure as long as there’s nothing wrong, why go see the doctor?
Well, the best way to avoid serious illnesses is to find out about them early. So, try to come at least once a year for your own good.
Let me see here. Your eyes and ears look fine. Take a deep breath, please. Do you smoke, Mr. Smith?
Smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer and heart disease, you know. You really should quit.
I’ve tried a hundred times, but I just can’t seem to kick the habit.
Well, we have classes and some medications that might help. I’ll give you more infomp3ation before you leave.
O.K., thanks, doctor.
- avoid a creditor
- avoid as taboo
- avoid being seen
- avoid by all means
- avoid eating meat and fish
- avoid leaning to either side
- avoid mentioning sth.
- avoidance of responsibility